1) Sabrina's Cafe in South Philly. On Christian St between 9th and 10th, they serve the most delicious breakfast and lunch plates. Small, cozy, and very cute!
2) Down the street from it is Morning Glory (Christian St. and 10th), which has more of a diner-style decor to it.
3) Other places to consider: Carmen's Country Kitchen (1301 S. 11th) if you want more of a wacky feel but still great hearty food. She has creamers and decorations shaped like different parts of the human body. Not great for families with young children, but a riot for those who are still young at heart and not easily offended.
1) Little Fish (6th and Catharine) - great seafood restaurant. Small and cozy. Seats about 5 tables and the kitchen is open so you can see all the food cooking!
2) Effie's (11th and Pine) - a BYO greek restaurant. Effie herself can be spotted here, and they make the most delicious home-made greek food.