Contrary to some of the above replies, I find the consensus from overseas visitors is that there are very few free hot spots compared to some other countries. Some tips that could help though:
- As mentioned above, manga/internet cafes are great value. You get access to unlimited hot/cold drinks and the hourly cost (maybe 300-500 yen) is maybe cheaper than getting a non-refill drink at a cafe.
- Fon does have the 2nd biggest global network here. Check the Fon site for details, I believe Livedoor Wirelessis a local partner here.
A couple of other options for getting wireless internet access:
Free use of PCs with internet access
- A971 in Roppongi Midtown and Wired Cafe in Shibuya: http://www.cafecompany.co.jp/pdf/english.pdf
Free wireless hotspot for diners
- Cafe Miyama shops listed here: http://www.ginza-renoir.co.jp/miyama/
- Ginza Renoir listed here: http://www.ginza-renoir.co.jp/renoir/index.htm
This tip has the address "Tokyo